Snow is melting and as folks anticipate the warmer weeks ahead, home owners start to envision plans for their backyard and how to extend their time outside when planning their outdoor patio spaces. Each year we work with clients to create a space that works for their budget goals and family activities. Taking the time to Plan your outdoor patio space and backyard is important and may involve more than one meeting.
Idea Center-Check out our latest Spring newsletter (click here to open pdf in new window)
As we talk with each family, not everyone has the same budget or purpose for their outdoor patio spaces. Some folks work all day and only get to enjoy time outdoors after supper or on the weekends.Many now work from home full or part time or have kids and stay home all day so are looking for a clean space to retreat to.
1. A patio:Some clients prefer having a patio with a table, chairs, and a grill while others are more ambitious looking to incorporate the convenience of the indoor living to the outdoors adding carpet, furniture sets, cabanas with curtains, outdoor fans, bar area and more.
2. Seating: There are so many seating options for outdoor patio spaces. Beyond the traditional patio table and chairs, you can include bar seating (attached to your outdoor kitchen) as well as informal sitting walls around fire features. Also chaise lounges, hammocks, perhaps even a glider or bench swing let you relax in style.
3. Fire features: Fire Pits, Fireplace or Outdoor Heaters. Fire features are one of the mainstays of outdoor patio spaces because they extend the use of the outdoors into the cooler fall and winter seasons.
5. Grill and Bar Areas: Cooking outdoors is a central part to most homeowners outdoor patio spaces. A well-designed outdoor area is going to make grilling fun and expand your options. For example, you don’t just have to integrate a grill with a table. You can also include a bar with stools, fire place or smoker and even add an outdoor fridge or cooler for ice. There are so many choices to create your outdoor cooking and entertaining space.
6. Pergolas, Awnings, Patio Umbrellas and Fans: Using a pergola in your outdoor patio space defines an outdoor area whether for dining, entertaining or to just relax while still allowing you to be under the open sky providing a shade from the sun. Commercial Outdoor Fans also provide protection from insects as well as a cooling element so you can enjoy your space.
8. Incorporate a tranquil Water feature and Raised Garden area in you outdoor patio space. The possibilities are endless. Give our office a call today to setup a free consultation and estimate 860-228-3915.
Here’s a great article from HGTV about Patio Planning 101 that I found helped if you are thinking of renovating your backyard this year 🙂
Picture Perfect Landscape is an Authorized Contractor for Unilock Pavers and Walls and they have some beautiful material to create your outdoor oasis. You can check out their design center for ideas to get started. Once you have a basic idea as to what style you like and elements you would like to incorporate, give us a call.
We also are certified TechoBloc installers and New England Silica has a showroom located in South Windsor that we highly recommend. We are able to meet with clients at their home, check out the project site, discuss their plans and goals, and suggest the appropriate materials and design/layout to fit their budget.
Sometimes this may mean doing the project in a couple of phases, but clients can achieve their objectives without having to sacrifice quality. Having a realistic budget is key and smart planning goes a long way to customer satisfaction.
Here are just a few sample designs that we have done: Go to our gallery to view more.
Ron attended some seminars and hands on training demos up in Massachusetts on the latest products for patio area spaces. Lots of beautiful paver choices as well as updated wall block available for creating walls and seating areas. This is a new interlocking wall block system called U-Cara that looks great for complimenting patio and pool areas.
If you are interested in structures such as pergolas, pavilions or gazebos, our friends over at Kloter Farms in Ellington CT have a great outdoor showroom with lots of outdoor furniture as well as structures including swingsets, gliders, fireplaces, etc to add to your patio area enjoyment.
You can also visit Carefree Buildings in Colchester or Newington that have sheds, playscapes, gazebos as well as open pavilions and pergolas to assist in providing shade and protecting your furniture.